Do you want to take your cat on an adventure? Maybe you just need a reliable carrier for taking them to the vet. Either way, cat backpack carriers make a great option for transporting your feline.
Cat backpack carriers have gained popularity over the past few years. Besides being a cute transportation method, these backpacks are comfortable, safe, and fun for your cat.
If you are considering purchasing a cat backpack carrier, you might be overwhelmed by the options. In this post, we will look at the best cat backpack carriers on the market. By the end, we hope you feel more comfortable selecting the perfect backpack for your cat.
#1 Overall Best Backpack: PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
#2 Best Bubble Backpack: Blitzwolf Pet Space Capsule Backpack
#3 Best Backpack for Hiking: Mr. Peanut’s Backpack Pet Carrier
#4 Best Backpack for the Curious Cat: Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack
#5 Best Bubble Backpack for Air Travel: MASVIS Cat Backpack Carrier
#6 Best Backpack for Comfort: Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carrier
#7 Best Backpack for Heavier Cats: Fat Cat Backpack Carrier
Before we look at the reviews, let’s discuss some common FAQs regarding cat backpacks.
What are the Benefits of Using a Cat Backpack Carrier?
Cat backpacks are a great way to transport your pet. Traditional carriers only have a handle or shoulder strap. This strap can dig into your shoulder and make it very uncomfortable for you if you need to take your cat on a long trip.
Traditional carriers are not always great for your pet, either. As you move, the carrier sways and can cause your cat to get sick.
Cat backpack carriers are more comfortable for both you and your cat. The backpacks are designed to be a safe and secure transportation method.
What is a Bubble Backpack?
Bubble backpacks are one type of cat backpack carrier. Bubble backpacks are designed with a rounded window that extends from the front of the backpack. This window allows your cat to enjoy the view while they are being carried. Most of these windows are equipped with tiny ventilation holes to allow for air flow.
Are Cat Backpack Carriers Safe?
Many owners wonder if cat backpacks are a safe way to transport their pet. The last thing any pet owner wants is for their cat to escape.
The good news is that most cat backpack carriers are extremely safe. These backpacks are designed as a safe and secure way to transport your cat. The zippers are designed to stay in place without breaking. Most backpacks are made with sturdy materials that your cat won’t be able to rip or chew through.
In this post, we only discuss carriers that are safe and reliable.
What Should I Look For in a Cat Backpack?
As you choose the perfect cat backpack for your pet, make sure you know what to look for. Overall, you need to compare the materials, size, shape, safety, and price of the backpack.
It is important to ensure that the backpack is comfortable for both you and your cat. Otherwise, you probably won’t use this backpack on a regular basis. We will go into more detail about what to look for in a cat backpack in the next section.
Choosing the Right Backpack
As we mentioned above, there are a few factors to consider when selecting the right backpack for you.
- SAFETY- Most importantly, you need to make sure the backpack you select is safe. Your cat needs to feel safe and secure in the backpack. Make sure there is nothing that could break and allow your cat to escape.
- COMFORT– Choose a backpack that is comfortable for both you and your cat. You want the backpack to feel comfortable on your shoulders while also providing a comfortable spot for your cat to sit.
- AIR FLOW– The right backpack will give your cat plenty of fresh air without allowing them room to jump out and escape. The backpack you choose should be equipped with plenty of ventilation.
- SIZE– Before selecting a backpack, think about the size of your cat. Make sure the backpack you choose has plenty of room for your cat to walk around in a circle. They should be able to easily lay down and stretch out in the backpack. If it is too small, they will feel cramped and uncomfortable.
How To Help Your Cat Enjoy the Backpack
Anytime you introduce your cat to something new, you need to be patient and give them time to get used to it. The backpack is no exception. With time, your cat will start to enjoy and even love the backpack.
To help your cat get used to the backpack:
- Allow your cat to explore the backpack on their own. Leave the backpack somewhere they will find it. Your curious cat will start to smell and investigate the new item.
- Start with a small trip. When you are ready to take your cat on an adventure, start small. Take a short trip and build up over time.
- Don’t start with the vet. You don’t want your cat to associate the backpack with negative experiences. Even if you plan to use the backpack for future vet visits, start with positive trips.
- Reward your cat. After the first few trips, reward your cat with treats to reinforce the positive associations with the backpack.
- Be patient. Your cat might not like the backpack right away. That’s ok. Just be patient and give your cat more time to get used to it. With time and patience, they will get more comfortable with the backpack.
Bonus: Leash and Harness Training
You don’t have to leash and harness train your cat but this is a good option if you want to take your cat on adventures. If you want to train your cat to walk on a leash, you need to follow some of the same advice from above. First, lay out the leash and harness and let your cat get used to the new items. Be patient and give them time to get comfortable.
Put the harness on your cat without fastening it. Reward your cat and let them get used to wearing the harness. When they seem ready, fasten the harness and attach the leash. Hold the leash and let the cat slowly start to explore a small indoor area. As they get more comfortable, you can take your cat outside. It is important that you carry your cat outside with the leash and harness to prevent them from running outside on their own.
While it might take a while to leash and harness train your cat, this is a great option for anyone who wants to take their cat on an outdoor adventure. Put the harness on your cat before placing them in the backpack so it is easy to start your walk once you get to the destination.
Best Cat Backpack Carrier Reviews
In this section, we will review seven of the best cat backpacks available on the market. We will discuss the best overall backpack and rank the reviewed backpacks based on specific criteria.
Each of these backpacks are safe, sturdy, and high-quality options for your pet.
Overall Best Backpack: PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
The PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack is a great option for anyone who wants to take their cat on hikes or to the park. This is also a perfect backpack for shorter trips, such as a routine vet visit. The backpack measures 12.5″ x 10.2″ x 16.3″ and can hold up to 18 lbs, so it is a great size for most cats. Your cat should be able to comfortably sit in the backpack without feeling squished.
There are mesh windows, which allow for plenty of airflow in this backpack. The front window includes a double zipper if you want to pet your cat without taking them completely out of the backpack. This also allows your cat to enjoy the view from the backpack. There are side and front pockets for storage.
The inside of the backpack is Sherpa lined, which is very soft and comfortable. The backpack is very sturdy and won’t collapse on your cat. It comes with an optional safety buckle if you want to strap in your cat. The backpack includes chest and waist buckles for the wearer, which helps make the backpack more comfortable for longer trips. In addition, the backpack comes with a collapsible bowl so you can give your cat food or water during the journey. The PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack also comes in a variety of colors.
- This backpack is well-ventilated.
- The design is comfortable for both the cat and the person carrying the backpack.
- It is large enough for most cats to fit without feeling cramped.
- This backpack contains mesh windows, which could get torn.
- After use, the backpack may not maintain its shape very well.
- Larger cats might not fit well in this backpack.
Best Bubble Backpack: Blitzwolf Pet Space Capsule Backpack
The Blitzwolf Pet Portable Capsule Backpack is one of the best cat bubble backpacks available on the market. The backpack comes with a transparent window so your cat can look out without being able to escape. This backpack is 12″x9″x16.5″ and is suitable for cats that are 10 lbs or less. This backpack also comes with a mesh cover, so you have the option to use this instead of the bubble window. The mesh cover would allow for more air flow. But, the backpack is already equipped with plenty of ventilation holes.
Besides the optional mesh window, the backpack is not made with any mesh fabric. This help prevents your cat from accidentally tearing the mesh and being able to escape. The backpack is covered with a thin protective film that keeps the backpack from being easily damaged. This protective film also helps waterproof the backpack. There are also pockets on the outside of the backpack so you can store a water bottle or other small items.
The backpack comes in a variety of colors. The comfortable “S” shoulder straps are designed to relieve pressure on your spine. The backpack is also made with a double-ended zipper which makes it easier to open and get your cat in and out of the bag.
- The backpack comes with a bubble window so your cat can enjoy the view.
- You can easily replace the window with a mesh cover if you prefer.
- The backpack is well-ventilated.
- If the window is not installed properly, it can pop out of place.
- This might be too small for larger cats.
- The protective film scuffs easily.
Best Backpack for Hiking: Mr. Peanut’s Backpack Pet Carrier
Mr. Peanut’s Backpack Pet Carrier is a soft-sided carrier that is perfect for adventures. If you want to take your cat on hikes, trips to the park, or other outdoor excursions, this is one of the best backpacks on the market. This backpack is 14″x9″ and can hold up to a 10lb cat. It is well-ventilated and includes mesh covers on the front, side, and top. The top mesh cover includes a fold-over flap if you want to offer more shade to your cat.
The backpack is equipped with multiple side pockets, where you can store a water bottle and other hiking gear. One of the side pockets is a safety zippered pocket where you can securely store keys, your phone, or other valuables. Inside the backpack, you will find a leash ring if you want to strap in your pet. The bottom liner is a removable fleece pad that is very soft and comfortable for your cat.
The backpack’s straps are soft and adjustable. This is a very comfortable backpack to use on long trips, which makes it great for hiking. There are also chest and padded waist straps if you want to use these for hiking. This soft-sided backpack also fits most airline requirements, so it is possible to use this as your pet’s airplane carrier.
- Soft-sided carrier that works for most airlines.
- This backpack includes three ventilation windows.
- There are multiple pockets so you can store all of your hiking gear.
- The ventilation windows can be easily torn.
- This doesn’t fit every airline requirement, so always double check before flying.
- The removable fleece pad is hand-wash only.
Best Backpack for the Curious Cat: Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack
The Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack is the best for curious cats because the entire front of the backpack is a transparent screen. So, your cat will be able to see everything that is happening around them. This backpack is 11.4”x10.6”x16.1 and fits cats up to 12 lbs. This is a very spacious backpack and medium-sized cats can easily lay down on the comfortable floor. There are top and side entry points so it is very easy to get your cat in and out of the backpack.
There are 9 ventilation holes on the backpack, so there is plenty of air-flow inside. You will also find a leash hook inside the backpack if you want to add an extra level of safety. The backpack is very light way and comfortable to carry. The padded handle is soft and the straps are designed not to add stress to your spine. There are also chest and waist straps if you want to use these.
The backpack is waterproof and very easy to clean. There is a small pocket on the side if you want to store treats or other small items. The backpack is very sturdy and doesn’t collapse on itself like some soft-sided carriers do.
- Large transparent window allows your cat to enjoy the view.
- The backpack is very lightweight.
- There are 9 ventilation holes which allow for decent airflow.
- There are not many pockets on this backpack.
- The backpack can get warm if it is in direct sunlight for too long.
- It might be too small for larger cats.
Best Bubble Backpack for Air Travel: MASVIS Cat Backpack Carrier
The MASVIS Cat Backpack Carrier is one of the best bubble backpacks for airline travel. This durable soft-sided backpack is 12.9”x 7.8” x 14.96” and fits requirements for most airlines. It can easily slide under an airplane set with room for your cat to comfortably lay down. This is designed for cats that are 10 lbs or less. This backpack comes with a transparent bubble window, which can be replaced with a mesh screen.
There are multiple ventilation holes and mesh screens to allow for proper airflow. The directions recommend leaving the backpack in a well-ventilated area for a few hours before use. Inside the backpack, you will find a soft, removable pad that is very comfortable for your cat. There is a leash hook if you want to attach this to your cat’s harness or leash.
This backpack comes in a variety of colors and is also very easy to clean. The straps and handle are very sturdy and comfortable. The side zippers are very secure and this backpack is not easy to damage. This is one of the most secure backpacks on the market and you don’t need to worry about your cat escaping from this backpack.
- This backpack fits most airline requirements.
- The backpack is very comfortable for both you and your cat.
- There are multiple ventilation holes.
- There are no pockets for storage.
- This might be too small for a larger cat.
- The bubble window can pop off if not installed correctly.
Best Backpack for Comfort: Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carrier
The Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carrier is one of the most comfortable cat backpacks on the market. This backpack is 12.99″ x 9.05″ x 15.74″ and holds cats up to 10 lbs. The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable. The straps are reinforced and are not easy to break. These straps help make the backpack feel very comfortable on your spine and shoulders.
This backpack is also very comfortable for your cat. The soft padded floor allows your pet to feel very comfortable as they ride in the backpack. There are multiple ventilation holes and mesh windows to allow for proper airflow. The transparent bubble window allows your cat to look outside and enjoy the view.
The padded floor mat is machine washable, which helps make this one of the easiest backpacks to clean. The side zippers make it really easy to load and unload your cat from the backpack. This backpack comes in a variety of colors. Unfortunately, the backpack does not come with any pockets so you can’t easily store treats in this backpack.
- This is a very comfortable backpack for both you and your pet.
- There are multiple ventilation holes on the backpack.
- There is a transparent bubble window so your cat can enjoy the view.
- There are no pockets in this backpack.
- It might be too small for a larger cat.
- The synthetic leather can have a strong odor.
Best Backpack for Heavier Cats: Fat Cat Cat Backpack Carrier
The Fat Cat Cat Backpack Carrier is the best backpack on the market for heavier cats. This backpack is 15”x11.4”x17.7” and can hold up to a 19.8lb cat. This is a great option for larger breeds, like Maine Coons and Siberians. This backpack gives your cat plenty of room to move around and lay down. There are side pockets so you can easily store treats or other small items.
The backpack includes a transparent bubble window or a mesh screen, depending on what is best for your cat. There are multiple ventilation holes and mesh windows so your cat should have plenty of airflow while in the backpack. The top of the backpack includes a small window that you can open if you want to allow your cat to look out. There is a leash strap inside the backpack that would offer extra protection if you choose to use this window.
The adjustable shoulder straps and chest strap helps keep the backpack comfortable as you carry a heavy cat. This backpack is even approved for many airlines but be sure to check with your airline carrier before taking it on a flight.
- This backpack fits larger cats.
- This backpack comes with a bubble window and a mesh cover.
- There are multiple ventilation holes and windows.
- This does not fit every airline’s requirements.
- This backpack is soft-sided and can tear easily.
- The bubble window can pop off if not installed correctly.
Best Cat Backpack Carriers Round-Up
We discussed a lot of cat backpacks in the post. Before making your final decision, let’s take a quick look at each backpack we just reviewed.
PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
- No bubble window
- Very comfortable for owner and cat
Blitzwolf Pet Space Capsule Backpack
- Bubble window and mesh cover
- Includes side pockets
Mr. Peanut’s Backpack Pet Carrier
- No bubble window
- Plenty of pockets
Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack
- The entire front of the backpack is a transparent window
- Includes pockets.
MASVIS Cat Backpack Carrier
- Bubble window and mesh cover
- No outside pockets
Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carrier
- Bubble window
- Plenty of ventilation
Fat Cat Cat Backpack Carrier
- Bubble window and mesh cover
- Holds up to a 19.8lb cat
Cat backpacks are a great way to transport your cat. They are more comfortable than many traditional carriers. When selecting the best cat backpack for you, consider what is most important to you. Do you have a larger cat? If so, you should consider the Fat Cat backpack carrier. Does your cat get anxious easily? If so, you might want to invest in the Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack so they can see what is happening outside.
All of the backpacks we discussed are great options for traveling with your cat. Overall, when selecting a backpack you need to make sure it is safe, large enough, and well ventilated. After taking everything into consideration we selected the PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack as the best overall backpack. It is very large and comfortable for both you and your pet.
Ultimately, you get to decide which backpack is best for you. You can’t go wrong with any of the backpacks we covered in this post.
We hope this post helped you make a decision and find your ideal cat backpack carrier. Feel free to share your thoughts about cat backpacks in the comments below!